3 Things I've Done to Celebrate My Favorite Season


Guess what?? It's October, the middle of my favorite season: autumn! I know I haven't written in a while, but I just have so many other things I'd rather be doing on the weekends. But for those of you who care - which I guess is all of you reading this (thanks) - here's how I've been celebrating my favorite season. I mean, here's 3 things I've done to celebrate my favorite season. (I'm taking a writing class and I'm practicing how to write a catchy headline).

The best way to kick off fall is obviously apple picking, so of course that's what I did. Matt and I drove to a you-pick orchard a little outside of Columbus. I had no idea apple-picking was an event, it's just something I've always done, so all the city people that were there kind of surprised me.
 I have never seen trees so full of apples - and they were HUGE! Like, softball huge. It took maybe 3 minutes to fill the bag I bought - but probably 20 minutes to taste while picking.


Keeping with the enjoy-outside-while-it's-fall theme running, two weeks ago I politely asked Matt to go hiking with me in Hocking Hills. (Meaning I told him I really wanted to go and if he wanted to spend Saturday with me that's what he should want to do to *thanks Matt*). Lots of Ohioans told me that I needed to go to Hocking Hills in the fall when the leaves were turning color, so I was happy to check something so beautiful off my list. It might not have been the Tetons, but HH was gorgeous and we went on a perfect day ie, it was sunny and 70 degrees here while it was snowing back home in Idaho.


Last weekend was also really nice weather (sidenote, it is NOT supposed to be nice weather this weekend). Anyway, I spent this weekend in Northern Ohio, super close to that tiny strip of West Virginia that's smooshed between Ohio and Pennsylvania.We spend Saturday in Pittsburgh, so I've finally been to Pennsylvania - I don't count driving through a tiny corner of the state as "being in Pennsylvania."


I really enjoyed Pittsburgh and would totally go back. Matt and I spent most of our time in the Strip District - it's this long street full of quirky little eateries and huge ethnic grocery stores. And grocery stores are honestly my favorite kind of store, maybe even more than yarn stores, so I loved it. Along with tiny doughnuts, we tried strange drinks from an Asian grocery and bacon-flavored soda. The soda was disgusting, I'm gagging just thinking about it. So if anyone ever goes somewhere where they sell strangely flavored pop, don't get the bacon flavored. Maybe try the celery kind.


So there you have it, my month of October in a nutshell. Happy fall, all!

Comments