But Ohio Isn't Real...

This is what someone from home said after I told them I had accepted a job in Columbus, Ohio and I have to say, I agreed with them. But it's real now, so here I am.* I've had a few requests and lots of phone calls, text messages, and emails lately, so I figured I'd update the ol' blog once more. I even updated the theme! It needed some remodeling.


I've been in Columbus two weeks today and have finished one and a half weeks of work. I have a real job at the Buckeye Institute doing economic policy analysis for Ohio legislation. It doesn't feel real, to be honest. Ohio has never ever been part of any kind of plan or dream of mine, but everything fell together so well and so quickly - I know this is where I should be right now. Just don't ask me why, cuz I haven't gotten that far yet. I've already learned lots of new math and will be participating in several different professional development programs that will be sending me back to D.C. occasionally, which I'm very excited about - I don't think I could get better preparation for grad school than I'm already getting here at the Buckeye Institute.

For those wondering, I'm not sure how long I'll be out here in the Midwest - at least a year. But we'll see what happens.

So far I have loved having my own apartment. If there's a mess, it's mine and my responsibility. The only person I have to complain about is myself. One roll of toilet paper lasts forever, but man, the bathroom still gets messy fast. If anyone would like to come visit and do my decorating, that would be dandy! Also, did you know that you can buy real live plants on Amazon? I wonder if they sell puppies...
Although I have taken very few photographs to prove it, I have done more than sit in my apartment. Last weekend I went to brunch with a friend where we both got literal towers of pancakes - I had enough leftovers for the next two meals. And yesterday I found a GINORMOUS bargain bookstore that has 32 rooms of books. I'm drooling just thinking about it. I will probably be going there after every paycheck, no lies. So if anyone wants another reason to come visit me or is not interested in decorating for me, there it is.

Aaaaaand, that's basically it! Hopefully next time I write I'll have better photographs to break up the monotony of my words.

Comments

  1. I'm in for the bookstore. Not so much for the decorating, although you know this because you did live in my house! We are missing you at Corner Drug, but are so excited about your real job.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment