I Hate to Say Goodbye

 

     So this past week was definitely the best one of the entire semester, but also probably the worst. Because I hate goodbyes and this week was full of them.
     Monday was the best day ever. Heritage was able to set up a meeting with Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas for the intern class. Meeting him was a literal dream come true. I found Justice Thomas to be one of the most humble, down to earth men I have ever met. His sense of humor, giggle, and straightforwardness were refreshing and a bit surprising. Not only did we finally have to cut him off because he would have spoken with us all afternoon, but he offered to take an individual photo with each and every one of us. This busy man then took the time to laugh with and get to know each one of us interns, one on one. That such an important man would have a sincere interest in me, my education, and my goals is absolutely mindboggling - and my respect has skyrocketed.


     We had a small graduation ceremony thing for the interns at Heritage on Thursday. Jared gave the best grad speech I've ever heard and we finally got bullpen photos. Here I introduce the six people I spent the majority of my time with this semester - as Jared would say (bless his patient soul): "Welcome to the (gal)axy!" These six gals and gent are amazing friends who truly made my experience in D.C. wonderful. I promise I won't delete our group chat!


     On Thursday I also went to a Wizards game. Shocker, I know. Also, in case you were wondering, I actually knew that it was basketball without asking anybody. Look at me, knowing my professional sports teams... I can't tell you much about the game, except that the Wizards did win and that for the most part, I had no idea what was going on. But it was a fun experience anyway!


     Sarah and I attended the temple for the last time on Friday night. If you ever have the chance, go see the D.C. temple lights during Christmas time! They were absolutely beautiful and in my opinion, comparable to Temple Square in Salt Lake City. I love the temple and cannot wait to be back in Rexburg where I am able to attend every single week.
     On Saturday, we found ourselves out in the Congressional Cemetery, searching for John Phillip Sousa and becoming popsicles. I discovered that a human popsicle is worth approximately $6,000 - don't ask how I know that or why I wanted to know in the first place.


     I'll be back in Idahome on Thursday!! Pray that the snow stays for me. P.S. The sign that says "An Idaho Mountain Gem" is describing me, not the National Christmas tree in front of the Capitol Building...

Comments