From the Stars to Sweden to South Africa and Back


     So basically this was a fantastic week and can be summed up in three words: Christmas, food, and second-to-last week of work. Since Monday was officially "after Thanksgiving," it's finally acceptable to start getting prepared for Christmas. One of the other interns that I work with brought a whole bunch of decorations and lights for our work area (which we've recently termed the (Gal)axy because there's 6 of us girls and one guy) and on Wednesday I brought in a tiny Christmas tree. We're adorable, I know. I spent the rest of the week beginning to wrap up my internship - I have some exciting opportunities in store this next year, all thanks to this absolutely fantastic internship I've had here. I've been truly blessed.
     After work on Monday included Ben's Chili Bowl - it's a famous restaurant President Obama has been known to frequent - and my favorite store: Trader Joe's! This is super cheesy, but I will truly miss doing my grocery shopping there. On my list of what I want in my life after graduation, Trader Joe's is pretty near the top. So if anyone knows of any economic jobs in a community with a TJ's, let me know!
     Thursday was the night that, if I hadn't decided already, I knew I do not belong in a city. I hate traffic. It makes me crazy. But I love Thai food, especially Thai food that's served in a real life pineapple. So I need to live somewhere that's not a city but has a Trader Joe's and Thai food. That may be a tall order, but a girl can dream...


     Friday was basically heaven. After sitting through a long lecture after spending all day at work, Sarah and I went to one of the only Russian restaurants in town! I know you shouldn't link your happiness to worldly things, but hot borscht and verenikii are about as close as you can get to heaven without dying. There was even imported Ukrainian candy instead of mints. One day I will go back, but in the meantime, I'll just stare at photos of friends who are there. Heaven, thy name is Mari Venna.


     On Saturday, I traveled from the stars to Sweden to South Africa and back. We began the day at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum - it's one of my new favorites - and we spent the afternoon at a Swedish Christmas market. The late afternoon/evening was spent in Old Town Alexandria out in Virginia, where we spent some time in a yarn store (my friends are so patient with me), dining at a delicious South African place (yay for leftovers!), admiring the architecture, and watching a boat parade. Santa on a boat is so legit, the end.
     Church today was super neat. The YSA wards out here are very spread out and in normal family stakes. Today they organized us into our own separate YSA stake. The Spirit in that meeting today was incredible - I have a strong testimony of how real revelation is, as well as the power of the priesthood.
     Happy December!

Comments